It occurs to me that the main difference between Barbara Walters’s 10 Most Fascinating People list and mine is that Barbara is attempting to speak for the people. I am just speaking for myself. My list isn’t representative of how the world reacted to people in 2008. In other words, Sarah Palin is not on my list. Things that make me throw up in my mouth are not fascinating to me.
10. Dara Torres Michael who? Barbara, this is the Olympic swimmer you should be interested in. As soon as I saw Dara Torres, I developed a solid interest in the Summer Olympics.
9. Jane Curtin If I knew who Jane Curtin was before I started watching Kate & Allie this summer, I didn’t know what I knew. Now I know.
8. Tom Crean I don’t know why he wanted the job, but I am so glad he has it.
7. Ana Marie Cox Among the many, many cool people #2 has introduced to my life, this woman is my favorite. She is an online journalist and the only one I read with any regularity. She is also my favorite Twitterer. And it isn’t because she Twitters “fuck” more than anyone else. Well, it isn’t only because of that.
6. Barack Obama I know, I know. Aren’t we sick of him yet? I don’t know what kind of a president he will be, but I do know that I am fascinated.
5. Dawn Denbo So she isn’t exactly a real person, but I will always think of Season 5 of The L Word as the Season of Dawn Denbo (and her lover Cindy). Whether I was laughing or swearing, I was always fascinated.
4. Lauren Graham Something snapped this year, internet. I wish I could explain my sudden fervor for Gilmore Girls. Oh, wait. I can. It’s Lauren Graham.
3. Amy Ray Friends, I saw her live four times this yearâ€”one of those times solo, as in just her and me. Seeing her live has been one of the best experiences of my life. I remain fascinated by her talent and maybe even more so by her graciousness…and her tattoos. (I had to be honest.)
2. Rachel Maddow I don’t suppose there is anything to say that hasn’t already been said. I cannot find anything wrong with this woman. I didn’t know the news could be so sexy.
1. Madeline I spent a few hours with her on Tuesday, and I realized that she has become one of my favorite people. When I am with her, there is only the present. She doesn’t care about five minutes ago or tomorrow. It’s hard to stay focuse like that, but it is worth it. Madeline is this whole personâ€”a very small person, but a complete being. I don’t know why that fascinates me but it does.
I took some pictures. Here she is getting ready to grab my pants so she can stand up. Click to let the cuteness fill up your computer screen.